Are you wondering just how important your sexual health is to your overall health? According to the American Social Health Association, the definition of sexual health is the ability to embrace and enjoy our sexuality throughout our lives, as it is an important part of our physical and emotional health.While having sex with your partner…
Causes of ED
Erectile dysfunction (ED) leads to an inability to achieve or maintain an erection for long enough to have sex. It is a health condition that can affect one's self-esteem and lead to relationship issues. ED is often a sign that the person has an underlying health condition that needs treatment. It can also be a sign of heart disease.
Erectile dysfunction can be an uncomfortable topic for many men to address, but it can often be treated once the underlying problem is fixed. Some patients might need to use medications or other treatments to regain their ability to get an erection.
Signs that a person has erectile dysfunction include:
- An inability to get an erection
- Reduced sex drive
- Difficulty keeping erections
What causes ED?
Getting an erection is a complicated process that involves blood vessels, muscles, nerves, emotions, hormones and the brain. A problem with any of these parts of the body that are responsible for erections can lead to ED. Mental health problems like depression and stress can also lead to erectile dysfunction.
In some cases, erectile dysfunction can be caused by a combination of physical and psychological problems. For example, a minor health issue can slow down a man's arousal. As a result, he might develop anxiety about being able to get an erection and that often makes the ED worse.
Common physical symptoms of erectile dysfunction include:
- Clogged blood vessels
- Heart disease
- High cholesterol
- High blood pressure
- Parkinson's disease
- Multiple sclerosis
- Metabolic syndrome
- Tobacco use
- Sleep disorders
As mentioned earlier, the brain also plays an important role when it comes to triggering the events that lead to erections. Mental problems can interfere with feelings of arousal, leading to erectile dysfunction. Psychological causes of ED include:
- Relationship problems
There are a variety of risk factors that can make a person more vulnerable to ED. The more common ones include:
- Aging: As a man grows older, he might need more stimulation and take longer to get an erection.
- Health: Medical conditions like heart disease and diabetes increases a person's risk of developing ED.
- Tobacco use: Using tobacco products like cigarettes restricts the flow of blood in the arteries and veins. Long term tobacco use can lead to health problems that cause ED.
- Obesity: Being overweight also makes a man more vulnerable to ED. Overweight people are more likely to have issues like clogged arteries which hinders blood flow to the penis.
- Medication: Some medical treatments like radiation for cancer or prostate surgery can lead to erectile dysfunction.
- Mental issues: Psychological conditions like depression, anxiety and stress can lead to erectile dysfunction.
- Recreational drugs: Abusing alcohol or recreational drugs can lead to conditions that cause ED
There are many treatment options
Erectile dysfunction does not have to impact one's romantic life. There are a variety of treatments like medication and shockwave therapy that can be used to restore the ability to get erections. Call or visit our Fresno clinic to get started with treatment.
Check out what others are saying about our services on Yelp: Read our Yelp reviews.
Wellness centers treat patients in a variety of ways. It provides a more holistic approach to health, addressing the physical, mental and often the spiritual health needs of the patient. However, wellness centers are a rather broad category, and it is helpful to be familiar with the different types of services that are offered. Wellness centers…
The P-Shot® is a newer innovation that many men are turning to in order to improve their sexual function and health. Although it is rather new to the medical world, there are many proven benefits. When considering different sexual enhancement treatments, it is best to review their benefits to better understand how everything works. Ready…
If you are interested in improving your sexual response, then the Orgasm Shot® might be for you. This is an injection that is made from your own plasma. It has a range of health benefits, including improving incontinence. However, you might have some questions about this relatively new treatment.The technician will use a tiny needle…